thePlenty.net Forums

Full Version: What movie/s are you watching?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Watched Soylent Green the other night. Really good sci-fi movie about how human society could be like if overpopulation led to the death of the planet's resources and inability to provide food for everyone. I also found the commentary on the way people eventually see and treat each other as objects to be quite interesting. Can the value of a human being ultimately drop to such a state when the planet is overrun with them?

Situational cannibalism is a proven system. If the only food available is dead human flesh, then humans will end up eating it... They may not like it, but they will eat it.
I recently saw Kick Ass on TV. Seemed like an awesome movie.
Sadly I missed the begging and some of the middle =/
I bought the Kick-Ass DVD on saturday. Really looking forward to that one.

Last movies/series watched:
Red dwarf season 1-4
The big bang theory season 1-2
True blood season 2
Yatterman
Iron man 2
Tangled

Waiting to be watched:
The sorcerer's apprentice
Kick-ass
Let the right one in (the Swedish one)
Despicable me
Blood: the last vampire (the live-action version, I've already seen the anime)
Death note 2 (the live-action version)
Death note (the anime)
These beings found the following of those rather good and enjoyable:
(they haven't seen the rest)

(Apr-03-2011, 11:09 AM (UTC))joost Wrote: [ -> ]True blood season 2
Iron man 2
The sorcerer's apprentice
Blood: the last vampire (the live-action version, I've already seen the anime)

They haven't seen the Swedish version of "Let the right one in" but the American version ("let me in") was quite fun...

'thul saw the trailer for kick ass, but did not like it, so they have no intention of watching it...

'thul would also recommend watching "Frostbiten"... It is a Swedish vampire movie, but of a very different type than "let me in"... Well-made and fun... It is in Swedish, but has English Subtitles (or various other languages, of course)

Yesterday or so 'thul also watched the "30 days of night" movies, and found them enjoyable, but not quite as enjoyable as "Frostbiten".
For vampire movies, locations north of the arctic circle are excellent, since then vampires can be outside all day long without trouble, able to cause trouble all the time... Unfortunately "30 days of night" did not exploit that as much as it could have...
These beings just watched the movie "City of Ember" and found it very enjoyable...

One of two main actors is quite young (14 then, 17 now), while the other main character is about 10 years older, yet they play roles of similar ages (not particularly old), so it is a bit refreshing in that aspect...

The setting is post-apocalyptic world, some 300 or so years from now...

Premise (without spoilers):
Quote:For generations, the people of the City of Ember have flourished in an amazing world of glittering lights. But Ember's once powerful generator is failing ... and the great lamps that illuminate the city are starting to flicker.

In no particular order

Blade Runner by Ridley Scott
Apocalypse Now by Francis Ford Coppola
Magnolia by Paul Thomas Anderson
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind by Michel Gondry
Jaws by Steven Spielburg
Manhattan by Woody Allen
The Lives of Others by Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck
The Man Who Would Be King by John Huston
Days of Heaven by Terence Malick
IF by Lindsey Anderson
Hedwig and the Angry Inch by John Cameron Mitchell
Those are the films I have watched over and over again..
(Apr-03-2011, 01:29 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: [ -> ]They haven't seen the Swedish version of "Let the right one in" but the American version ("let me in") was quite fun...
I really liked this one. I'm not sure I'm gonna watch Let me in, main reason to watch would be Chloe Moretz (whom I really liked as Hit-girl), main reason not to watch would be that they made the story less dark, or so I'm told.
The story is worth watching... These beings are unsure about whether it is brighter or darker than the swedish version, but it is not overly bright or dark, that is for sure.
LET ME IN would be a great, gripping, lovely, exciting, unique film if there wasn't a Swedish film called LET THE RIGHT ONE IN.
The acting is a bit better in the American version but there's just an other worldliness to the original. The idea that Sweden as a pure, clean, orderly place is deconstructed in LTROI. It's dirty, people are drunk and not everything works.

Don't remake good films, remake bad ones...or reinterpret good ones. But essentially a shot for shot remake of a film is pointless.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14