thePlenty.net Forums

Full Version: What movie/s are you watching?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
I agree. This thread definitely evolved, long ago, from 'best movie'. Your wish is my command, 'thul beings. *waves wand* Magic

Done!

As the 'author' of the thread, please let me know if you object, Liquid Ice. Smiling

Not sure if I could go from reading the Twilight books to watching the movies just yet. It was hard enough getting the image of 'Edward' out of my head during the read, and I'd only ever seen him on posters, interviews etc (oh, and in Harry Potter of course P ).

I have a friend, my age, who is utterly obsessed with Edward, and speaks of him like a teenager. I can't see what the attraction is, nor can I understand how a middle-aged woman can be so smitten with a character from a book/movie, but then I'm possibly blinded by my being in love some bloke you all may know as *Farseer spoiler*

Big Grin
The movies are somewhat more action-oriented than the books, making more of potential fight scenes.

Spoilers about book 4 following:
Part of the "smitten" stuff your friend has probably comes from the fact that while the character is physically 18, the actor is about 26 years. (Born in May 1986 according to IMDB)
If one should generically place a middle-aged woman at 35-40, the difference is suddenly "only" 9-14 years, rather than 17-22 years... ('thul do not have any specific idea of what age range defines a middle-aged human female, so if the numbers are insultingly off, it is an accident born of ignorance...)

I can see the attraction as he's described as beautiful in the books, but l could only picture Robert Pattinson when reading them. Try as I might, the image just wouldn't go away. The same thing happened with Harry Potter when Michael Gambon took over the role of Dumbledore. He wasn't right for that part at all and if I wanted any image of how Dumbledore should look (and sound) while reading, then Richard Harris would have been preferable.

That's the trouble with book/screen adaptations, they burn images into your head. I sincerely hope they never put Fitz on the big screen cos I just know he won't meet my expectations!

Anyhow, the last film I watched was '127 Hours.' It wasn't bad at all, though not recommended for the squeamish!
I'm the same way about Dumbledore, fool-ish! Richard Harris IS dumbledore, to me. P

127 Hours was really good. I just went to see Haywire last night and enjoyed it, thoroughly!
While it is probably a story of excellent quality, 'thul may at times be a bit impatient, so they do not wish to watch a movie that comes back to the same spot all the time. Or at least not that one.
(Jan-29-2012, 09:09 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: [ -> ]That's the trouble with book/screen adaptations, they burn images into your head. I sincerely hope they never put Fitz on the big screen cos I just know he won't meet my expectations!

This is why I am so reluctant to actually watch Game of Thrones, and why I cringed when the project was originally greenlit. I don't want books to become movies. (Although I have felt, ever since finishing the books, that The Stone Dance of the Chameleon would make a brilliant animated series.)
The adaptation of Game of Thrones isn't too bad really. There are one or two miscast actors (isn't there always?) and the storyline isn't faithful to the books, but it does say it's 'based on' I think. It's a well made series though and the opening titles, both music and graphics are great.
more importantly... it gets more people reading...
(Feb-02-2012, 09:44 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: [ -> ]The adaptation of Game of Thrones isn't too bad really. There are one or two miscast actors (isn't there always?) and the storyline isn't faithful to the books, but it does say it's 'based on' I think. It's a well made series though and the opening titles, both music and graphics are great.

I honestly think the cast they got for these characters are AMAZING! Especially the children (Is Arya PERFECT, or what?). Funny enough, the only character I think was absolutely horrible, was the one they used to sell the show: Sean Bean as Ned Stark. Don't get me wrong... I love LOTR and I love him as Boromir.. and I even love tons of other roles he's in. He just wasn't Ned Stark to me.

The opening music was stuck in my head for so long I ended up figuring out how to play it on Piano. Such a great theme song!

(Feb-02-2012, 10:59 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: [ -> ]more importantly... it gets more people reading...

This. THIS!

So many people at my work have now read the series due to the HBO show.. and, in the world of MMO-gaming, I have seen a lot more character names from the SOIAF realm (Hey, I even ran across a Fitz and a FitzChivalry on my SWTOR server a few weeks ago!).. and most of them became fans because of HBO.

I love this. Smiling

Yes it does. I'm quite certain that if I'd watched the series first, I would have been compelled to read the books. Though I doubt it would have served to prepare me for what was to come! BlinkSmiling
The Arya girl is spot on and I thought Sean Bean was pretty perfect for Ned...a proper northman! P I didn't rate the Jaime guy much and while Iain Glenn has the most gorgeous voice, he's not Jorah.

On the other hand, I can't wait to see Liam Cunningham as Davos...I've had a thing about him for years! Wub
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14