thePlenty.net Forums

Full Version: Where did you get your username from? (some RotE-ish spoilers)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
hmm... should these beings dictate pronunciation of their name?

it could be either straight forwards, or it could be "thool". It was not designed with any specific pronunciation in mind.
(May-23-2012, 11:13 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: [ -> ]Likely I will never change the way I pronounce all of your names...I have had you labelled far too long in my mind like that to change now! Nope. Can't do it. Changing a horse mid-stream is impossible for me. Ouch

Big Grin It really doesn't matter in a forum, however it would be funny if we ever met.

I try something out: I put it into my signature, that might help a little Innocent
My username just says it all really...by name and by nature Joker
Yeah, I hear a lot of swerve, or I guess I should say Mwerve or Mwervey! Big Grin And that's okay with me, I still recognise it and know they mean me. P I've learned to drop the umlauts from my surname though because most of the time people asking my whole name are typing it on a computer and there's no time to figure out where to find those funny dots... Big Grin

But no, Finnish is very simple in the way that we faithfully pronounced every single letter that is written down and every time the letter sounds the same too (yes I'm looking at you English vowels!) There are no silent letters, no potato, potatoe.

A lot of travelling Asians seem to adopt English names for the duration of their trip to make things easier, but I've decided to be difficult and stick to my given name and identity. If I take the trouble to learn your language over several years to communicate with you, you can take one minute to learn to write five letters in the correct order. Stirring
(May-25-2012, 05:51 AM (UTC))Mervi Wrote: [ -> ]If I take the trouble to learn your language over several years to communicate with you, you can take one minute to learn to write five letters in the correct order. Stirring

Agreed! P

I have to admit that I would love to be trailing you during your travels down in NZ, listening in to how my Kiwi brethren are dealing with your name...we (Aussies and Kiwis) speak the same language but I sometimes still think an interpreter would be handy for me, let alone when they are trying to get their tongue around a Finnish name! Big Grin

In my experience, the letter 'i' is particularly difficult for them to say and for me to understand. Uhhuh Hey, I love all of you mates down in The Land of the Long White Cloud really! Wink Slurp And I *do* plan to visit there one day...

EDIT: Sorry for the edits...it's what happens when one comes on to thePlenty whilst trying to conduct science experiments...!

My user name is an obscure character/artifact from the Lord of the Rings. It has a nice ring to it. Big Grin
(Jun-03-2012, 09:12 PM (UTC))Narya Wrote: [ -> ]My user name is an obscure character/artifact from the Lord of the Rings. It has a nice ring to it. Big Grin

It's one of the main rings of power! Not -that- obscure. lol P

Awesome, though. We both have LOTR-esque names. Slurp
My dad was a shipwright, among other things, so naturally I was interested in Cirdan's Ring.
And Arya's my favorite SOIAF character. You have a beautiful and strong screen name.
Gielske is the nickname the people in the town where I grew up gave me. My old town is totally into carnaval and everyone has a nickname for on there club t-shirts and stuff. My name came from the way I danced and the fact that I was (or am, allthough I dont live there anymore) one of those people who is always goofing around with everyone. Gielske stands for a combination of two words Geil (Horny) and Gekske (dialect but means something like "crazy one" but in a good way) But because Geilske is kinda weird to pronounce it became Gielske.

Ideal for internet since noone has that username. I've never came across a site where I couldn't use it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4