thePlenty.net Forums

Full Version: The to-read pile
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
The Circle of Magic quartet by Tamora Pierce. I've never read anything of hers so I am going to try these books first (though I have a few other books to get through first eg The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini, Things I Want My Daughters To Know by Elizabeth Noble and my unfinished Terry Pratchett attempt!).

I am hoping that the Tamora Pierce books will be something my daughter can enjoy when she's older? I guess I should also confess that the title of the series interested me the most, after looking into the RotE Circle of Magic!

Yay I have FINALLY been able to remember the code for a link without having to cut and paste it from a stored Word doc...it's only taken me since March!
(Nov-12-2010, 02:04 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: [ -> ]Yay I have FINALLY been able to remember the code for a link without having to cut and paste it from a stored Word doc...it's only taken me since March!

Or you could just click the button with a green/blue globe and a bit of chain next to it? Smiling It asks the url first and then the "title" which is the text that gets linked.
That's me, taking the long way around for everything!! Thanks for the shortcut, Mervi Slurp !
I have recently added Her Fearful Symmetry, Jasper Jones and The Help to my pile. Anyone read any of these?

(Nov-16-2010, 02:21 AM (UTC))Mervi Wrote: [ -> ]Or you could just click the button with a green/blue globe and a bit of chain next to it? Smiling It asks the url first and then the "title" which is the text that gets linked.

I tried this but had no success. Will keep fiddling and see what happens. May be something to do with the pop-ups as I have no way of inputting the title?
Bought a copy of Marion Zimmer Bradley's Lady of Avalon at the thrift store. It looks unread.

I've read Mists of Avalon so I was wondering whether this would be good, though I've heard Mists was Bradley's best Avalon book.
Farseer, it's not a pop-up but it is a bit of javascript - you might want to check your browser's settings if that's been disabled?
It WORKED, thanks Mervi! Thankful That makes life so much easier!

To test it again...I also have a number of Andy McDermott books waiting to be read - The Secret of Excalibur, The Cult of Osiris, The Covenant of Genesis, The Tomb of Hercules and The Hunt for Atlantis. Big Grin
Lady of Avalon and Forests of Avalon (a.k.a. The forest house) are also good Avalon-books, but they miss the grandeur that Mists has, possibly because they're not based on a well-known story. I also have Priestess of Avalon and Ancestors of Avalon, but they never appealed to me.

The recent to-read pile:
Stephenie Meyer - The short second life of Bree Tanner
Sam Peeters - In de schaduw van mijn lul [Graphic novel by the brother of my sisters's bf]
Zack Whedon - Dr. Horrible and other horrible stories
Marcel Ruijters - Sine qua non
Mark Retera - Dirkjan 10
Jimbo Matison - So crazy Japanese toys!
Stephen Donaldson - The runes of the earth / Fatal revenant / Against all things ending [Not gonna start this until The last dark is released]
Robert Jordan - The gathering storm [Waiting for Towers of midnight and A memory of light are released, then I'm gonna read the whole series in a row again]
Chris Cross - Spike: The Devil You Know [Expecting this to arrive around new year]
I'm currently reading the Dark Tower series - and am on vol 6 - Song Of Susannah - so my reading list (which is a physical pile on my bookcase) is:

Dark Tower Vol 7: The Dark Tower by Stephen King
The Last Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant: Against All Things Ending by Stephen Donaldson
Surface Detail by Iain Banks
The Bell at Sealey Head by Patricia A. McKillip
The Bards of Bone Plain by Patricia A. McKillip
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest by Stieg Larsson
A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin
A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin
The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie

I picked up the last 3 in a sale - hence the reason that I am reading The Blade Itself before George RR Martin's third one.

Looking forward to all of them!
Is that the order you're reading the books in?

My reading pile hasn't really gotten thinner or thicker recently. There's still the entire Deryni Chronicles, Prince of Nothing and Godspeaker trilogies in there, as well as the third and final book of The Stone Dance of the Chameleon. I have quite some reading to do.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12