thePlenty.net Forums

Full Version: The to-read pile
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
I know most book-lovers have this habit of buying too many books and as a result wind up with huge piles of books that they're going to read "someday". I am no stranger to this myself, especially where the bargain section or whole discount bookstores are concerned. So let's share our stacks!

A sample of my shamefully large to-read pile (Almost completely consisting of bargains - get 'em before they're gone, you know?):

The Symphony of the Ages trilogy by Elizabeth Haydon. I've been told it's not very good. Despite this, Gollancz had the audacity to put "The epic fantasy for the third millenium" on the covers. (They came out around 2000.)

The Khaavren Romances by Steven Brust. One of Hobb's favorite writers, so I grabbed them all when I saw them for low prices.

Chronicles of Deryni by Katherine Kurtz. Patrick of Fantasyhotlist described these as a cross between Robin Hobb and George R. R. Martin.

Heroes Die by Matthew Stover. It just sounded awesome.

Why do I buy whole trilogies before reading them? Because I always want to know how the story ends.
Chronicles of Deryni is on my to-read list as well. I didn't read Patrick's explaination of the book. That makes it sound awesome! Thanks for sharing, it just moved up!
Well, I added another book to my to-read pile today: R. Scott Bakker's The Thousandfold Thought. So yeah, I now have the complete Prince of Nothing trilogy despite not getting through The Darkness That Comes Before. I got it at a discount price, that's my justification. And I thought Bakker's Neuropath was excellent.
In fact, I suspect that there is some point that I have to push through before TDTCB will get truly enjoyable, and on the strength of Neuropath, I'm willing to try again.
I have a lot of books that are acquiring cobwebs which I really need to get to, particularly the John Jakes trilogy 'North and South', 'Love and War' and 'Heaven and Hell' (inspired the North and South television mini series), and the more recently acquired Inheritance series by Christopher Paolini - 'Eragon', 'Eldest' and 'Brisingr'. I made the mistake of seeing the movie version of Eragon with my kids first (they'd already read the books) and so it's now a bit of a grind to get started.

Will have to get into the Pern books one day and the Viking series by Tim Severin, as well.
Have to finish Harry Potter first.

I really should try harder to get my hands on Elizabeth Kerner's Lanen Kaelar books, I've been wanting to read them for quite some time.
If there are any fans out there of The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks (Liquid Ice?!), you may like to know that he has a new book 'The Black Prism' due out this year sometime. I found out about the new book when registering on ChriShaeffer's Reader Alert website http://readeralert.com

Here's a sneak peek of 'The Black Prism' with the first three chapters...
http://www.orbitbooks.net/blackprism/

The Night Angel trilogy has been on my 'to-read pile' for a while now, but I will hopefully get it read during the upcoming June school holidays...only another six or so weeks to go!!
Based on all of your endorsements, I have just purchased and added the GRRM A Song of Ice and Fire books to my 'to-read' pile, as well as Trudi Canavan's The Black Magician trilogy Book .
You are gonna go CRAZY finding things in ASOIAF!
Based on your amazing analysis of the Hobb books I think you'll really enjoy connecting the dots in GRRM's stuff.
(May-16-2010, 09:46 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: [ -> ]If there are any fans out there of The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks (Liquid Ice?!), you may like to know that he has a new book 'The Black Prism' due out this year sometime.

Here's a sneak peek of 'The Black Prism' with the first three chapters...
http://www.orbitbooks.net/blackprism/

The Night Angel trilogy has been on my 'to-read pile' for a while now, but I will hopefully get it read during the upcoming June school holidays...only another six or so weeks to go!!

Funny to come back and see this, after my huge NA rant elsewhere (now don't start that again P !) !

John Flanagan's newest installment in the Ranger's Apprentice series has just been released so it will go to the top of this pile...!
CAVEAT! This post contains sneaky affiliate links to thebookdepository! Angel

My current to-be-read pile includes (but is not limited to)

* The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest by the late Stieg Larsson. I saw the movies recently and were positively surprised (except maybe for the last one), so am looking forward to reading this trilogy. I'm really confused by the English titles btw, as the originals mean "Men who hate women", (the second one is a literal translation) and "the aircastle that exploded". I'm especially mad about the first one!

* Tolkien: Man & Myth No idea about how this compares to other books like this I've read, borrowed from a friend.

* Thief with no Shadow by Emily Gee. Borrowed from a friend who recommended it. She read TONS of fantasy and reviews it too, so I have high hopes for this!

* A brand new collection of (old) Don Rosa comics - this is the 9th album published in Finland that consists solely of his work. He's a superstar here, the lines for his signings were CRAZY this year.

* Field of Thirteen, a collection of short stories from my favourite mystery/detective author Dick Francis.

* The Finnish translation of Alastair Reynold's Pushing Ice. I got this autographed a couple of years ago when he was visiting Finland and I'm really ashamed I haven't read it yet!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12