thePlenty.net Forums

Full Version: Fool's Assassin spoiler thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I just finished the book and i'm still shattered. And fascinated, how well Robin Hobb did it this time. Fitz' voice is as strong as ever and Bee is a wonderful supplement to him. I really love and deeply care for her.
For me it's understandable, that he has no idea that bee is a white prophet and the "unexpected son". How could he? He is sure about her being molly's and his child. He knows pretty little about The Whites and was never really convinced about The Fool and his mission. And we all know that he sometimes is not very clearsighted concerning the obvious just in front of his eyes. For us readers it is pretty simple to put one and one together, but for Fitz i think it's almost impossible, to see, what his child is. He is just too close to her.
So, now we have to wait until probably next August, until book 2 will come out. Great disaster!!! Thankfully Robin is a reliable writer and won't let her fans wait too long.

I'm thankful and glad, that she managed to come back to her powerful, fascinating, gripping and magical writing and enjoyed every word oft this new books. Can't wait for the next one. And off i go for the first re-readBig Grin.
Hello everyone! I'm a long time reader but new member here. I agree with the enthusiasm this book is causing. The novel is an achievement on its own. That it continued the story in a way I (at least) never expected was a welcome surprise. I loved it so much I immediately reread it. Honestly I've never done that before.

And yeah. Bee. Compelling and completely realized. Easily one of my favorite characters ever. Did anyone else have to put the book down for awhile when she writes, "It was time for me to begin behaving as my father's daughter."?

I read all the posts in this thread so I just wanted to ask/speculate on a few things that I don't think were covered.

1) Lant's parentage. I do think it's Laurel and Chade. Fitz wonders at some point if the father was someone more scandalizing (Chade) so an arrangement that was less likely to raise the wrong eyebrow was made.

2) Shun's parentage. I kind of think she's the offspring of Chade and Starling Birdsong. We do learn that her mother was a noblewoman.

3) Did we meet Bee previously (and very briefly) toward the beginning of ASSASSIN'S QUEST? After Fjtz is brought back and trying to become human again, he describes what is happening at certain moments of his wit-bond with Nighteyes: "And sometimes there was another with Nighteyes and me, another who thought with us. He was very small, but he was there. I did not want him there. I did not want anyone there, ever again, except Nighteyes and me. He knew that, and made himself so small that most of the time he was not there."

I haven't read the other forums/threads so apologies if this has all been covered before!

I understand the problems with this conjecture, but Bee's dream journal entry before her first POV chapter immediately made me think of that passage as I always wondered who that could be. We know that the use of the male pronoun is not really an issue in this case. And if that is Bee, it would mean that time does not exist as a barrier or limiter in the Wit-bond of Fitz and Nighteyes or in Bee's dreams. (It would also mean that Bee was in the works well before someone had claimed to have stopped writing about these characters.)

4) Patience had a two-year absence from the Six Duchies after caught "kissing" Burrich? More than enough room for suspicion that the real story is something else entirely. This probably more than anything else baited me and I hope we learn more on this subject.

5) In the Fool's homeland, it is the custom for a child to have two fathers. Neither the mechanics or further details about this custom are offered, but apparently that is the case. So, the Fool is the other father of Bee, somehow? He and Fitz did share the same body at least once and obviously share a lot more than that.
[quote='Tallestman' pid='15046' dateline='1411397423']

3) Did we meet Bee previously (and very briefly) toward the beginning of ASSASSIN'S QUEST? After Fjtz is brought back and trying to become human again, he describes what is happening at certain moments of his wit-bond with Nighteyes: "And sometimes there was another with Nighteyes and me, another who thought with us. He was very small, but he was there. I did not want him there. I did not want anyone there, ever again, except Nighteyes and me. He knew that, and made himself so small that most of the time he was not there."

I haven't read the other forums/threads so apologies if this has all been covered before!

I understand the problems with this conjecture, but Bee's dream journal entry before her first POV chapter immediately made me think of that passage as I always wondered who that could be. We know that the use of the male pronoun is not really an issue in this case. And if that is Bee, it would mean that time does not exist as a barrier or limiter in the Wit-bond of Fitz and Nighteyes or in Bee's dreams. (It would also mean that Bee was in the works well before someone had claimed to have stopped writing about these characters.)

That is Verity. It is not Bee. We know this because Verity sometime in the near future forces Fitz to scream out that "Verity is alive."
SPOILERS ALL BOOKS

Just finished Fool's Assassin. Great book, left me breathless and wanting more. Couple things to say to Margaret.

1-5. Your awesome, please keep writing this series. The insights it gives me into people and the enjoyment I get out of reading your books is priceless.

6. I really hope Fitz steps up his game and becomes way more active a protagonist in the next book. Fitz is at his best when he is decisive and taking action, being the catalyst, like in the Assassin's Quest or the end of Fool's Fate. Fitz is an epic bad ass. He could go around making decisions, killing his enemies, and taking what he wants but he doesn't. He holds back, sneaks around, stays quiet, and suffers indignities because what he really wants is peace. As an avid fan, I have been waiting my whole life to see Fitz break out a can of whoop ass on everyone from Jamilla to the God's Runes. Well now is the time!! He has every reason to become the ruthless, relentless, unstoppable, brilliant assassin/hero/king, we have always wanted him to be.

7. The Servants are an awesome cult of evil/bad guy. Really hope to find out more about them next book.

8. Bee is fantastic. Not since reading Ender's Game have I so loved a child protagonist.

9. Ummm.... so dragons? What's up with the dragons? All just chilling in Chalced? Sort of expected some more talk of dragons, mentions of dragons, hints of mentions of dragons? While we're at it, what's been going on with Chalced, Bingtown, Jamallia, the Pirate Kingdom and Kelsingra? I get Fitz is a bit of a recluse and adverse to politics but you think he would skill over a quick question or two "Hey Nettle, Chade, Dutiful, thanks a bunch for sending all of your super annoying, spoiled, possibly dangerous, people to us. Also, do you remember how I restored the race of dragons to bring balance and peace to the world? Then you remember how the dragons created a new race of dragon people who rebuilt a magic city? How's that working out?"

10. How does Fitz not figure out Bee is the "unexpected son"? I hope Fitz spends some time kicking himself, or preferably others, over having missed this incredibly obvious development. Going through the portal stone with the fool was a little like the opening scene of an SVU episode where the mom decides to leave the kid alone in the empty parking lot for just a second. Also did Beloved knock-up his best friends wife? That's gonna be more awkward a conversation then when Fitz asked the Fool if he wanted to bang him.

11. I miss Molly already. Down Wait what happened to Laurel, did that get resolved? Also, not that I'm complaining but are Shun and Lant dead? Cause their stories never really got resolved either and their characters were a lot to put up with. It would be cool if Shun turned out to be Chade's kid and her being annoying was just an act and she whipped out some poison and knives and saved the day!

12. So just going back to point six, with Fitz being way more active in his new found quest to save his daughter and "kill them all". Dutiful, Eliana, Nettle, Ketricken, Chade, Rosemary, Riddle, Thick etc... better stop having their own issues and get on board. I know fast paced is not your style Margaret, but think how cool it would be to open with a scene i the middle of the action where Fitz is on his quest to find Bee.

For example, maybe a scene like this one but... you know... well written.
I (Fitz) stepped over the stinking fish bodies of the Others as we made our way farther up the cliffs. The Outislander, Bingtown, and Six Buchy flags waved atop the ships in bay below. Dutiful and Peottre and a dozen soldiers stood guard as Nettle interrogated a large gaudily adorned and heavily jeweled Other. "Where are the eggs? Your illusions and lies won't work on me! Don't make me get a cat!" A deafening blast of dragon skill, "WHAT TREACHERY IS THIS?". I straightened up and said, "it's obvious the eggs are buried under the treasure beach". Tintaglia crashed to the ground in front of me. "HOW DARE YOU ATTACK THIS PLACE?" I stepped forward and spoke calmly, "Go ahead kill me. Without me your race would be dead. Not even dead, a myth, a memory, vanished into time. You wouldn't help me when I asked, not out of kindness or loyalty or honor. Dragons respect strength above all else. Well where is your strength? How long before the rest of those lumbering creatures you call dragons get here? How many can even cross the open water? Well now you have a choice help me or watch my army dig up every egg on this island, kill every caretaker, sow salt into sand and end your species forever. Look into my mind, I will do it but why make me. Really, I want the same thing. To protect my child. To destroy a enemy of your people and mine. To live in peace. So it's simple, two things, First agree to obey human laws in Bingtown, the Seven Duchies and the God's Runes. Second, your dragons carry me and a handpicked group of warriors to Clerres and the Pale Isle."
[/b]
Good set of questions/observations.

I also wondered why Fitz didn't recognize that his daughter was connected to the Skill given her reaction and need for him to "wall up". The other thing that remain unexplained is why Fitz totally forgot about the butterfly cloak. Also, why didn't Fitz put two and two together when The Fool told him that he thought he had found the Unexpected Son after he and Bee had their moment. Fitz seems pretty blind when it comes to his daughter - is this just his "wolf love" which takes her as she is in the moment or some other hole in his character. As Riddle points out correctly, Fitz is pretty reckless with her safety despite all his pledges that he will be her protector. I don't doubt his love - I just think there is something a little broken inside him when it comes to his offspring.

I look forward to the sequels - the bad guys don't know what a handful they have in Bee. Not only is she (probably) the "unexpected son" but she's also thick with The Wit and Skill which we know is not something normal White Prophets have. She seems to be everything an Elderling is supposed to be. Add to that her rudimentary knowledge of hiding, spying and self-defense and her intriguing link with Nighteyes and you go "hmmmm" this is not gonna be good for The Servants -- I'm guessing the Dragons will be back in the sequels and that Bee will have a natural connection with them. Will she find her Wit partner with a Dragon??? It didn't seem to be working out with the cat - I seem to remember reading that cats are very difficult Wit-partners - am I wrong in remembering that?

I not only mourned Molly but Lady Patience, who was another beloved character in these books (love how her notes are "found behind a flowerpot"). I don't think the Tutor is dead and I'm sure that eventually Shun will "man up" - this is a common journey for a Robin Hobb character - where they start as pretty loathsome (or in the case of Young Fitzchivalry, kinda annoying and self-pitying) and eventually become important and likable. The Fool still has hidden her sex and it's interesting that Bee keeps on getting mistaken for a boy.

> Also did Beloved knock-up his best friends wife? That's gonna be more awkward a conversation then when Fitz asked the Fool if he wanted to bang him.

Of course not! It seems pretty clear to me that The Fool is asexual and may not even have sex organs. At any rate, Beloved would never betray Fitz like that (ahem, paging Burrich).

My theory: when Fitz and the Fool bonded over his memories, some trace of Fool's "DNA" must be in Fitz as a result - as his Nighteyes and this has been transferred to Bee. He's the catalyst after all - which means something that speeds up a chemical reaction.
(Jan-14-2015, 12:45 AM (UTC))jimhofmann Wrote: [ -> ]My theory: when Fitz and the Fool bonded over his memories, some trace of Fool's "DNA" must be in Fitz as a result - as his Nighteyes and this has been transferred to Bee. He's the catalyst after all - which means something that speeds up a chemical reaction.

I had similar toughts: as the elderlings and the dragons are exposed to each other and their offsprings are affected, so Fool can affect Fitz and his offsprings.
(Jan-14-2015, 12:45 AM (UTC))jimhofmann Wrote: [ -> ]Good set of questions/observations.

I also wondered why Fitz didn't recognize that his daughter was connected to the Skill given her reaction and need for him to "wall up". The other thing that remain unexplained is why Fitz totally forgot about the butterfly cloak. Also, why didn't Fitz put two and two together when The Fool told him that he thought he had found the Unexpected Son after he and Bee had their moment. Fitz seems pretty blind when it comes to his daughter - is this just his "wolf love" which takes her as she is in the moment or some other hole in his character. As Riddle points out correctly, Fitz is pretty reckless with her safety despite all his pledges that he will be her protector. I don't doubt his love - I just think there is something a little broken inside him when it comes to his offspring.

I look forward to the sequels - the bad guys don't know what a handful they have in Bee. Not only is she (probably) the "unexpected son" but she's also thick with The Wit and Skill which we know is not something normal White Prophets have. She seems to be everything an Elderling is supposed to be. Add to that her rudimentary knowledge of hiding, spying and self-defense and her intriguing link with Nighteyes and you go "hmmmm" this is not gonna be good for The Servants -- I'm guessing the Dragons will be back in the sequels and that Bee will have a natural connection with them. Will she find her Wit partner with a Dragon??? It didn't seem to be working out with the cat - I seem to remember reading that cats are very difficult Wit-partners - am I wrong in remembering that?

I not only mourned Molly but Lady Patience, who was another beloved character in these books (love how her notes are "found behind a flowerpot"). I don't think the Tutor is dead and I'm sure that eventually Shun will "man up" - this is a common journey for a Robin Hobb character - where they start as pretty loathsome (or in the case of Young Fitzchivalry, kinda annoying and self-pitying) and eventually become important and likable. The Fool still has hidden her sex and it's interesting that Bee keeps on getting mistaken for a boy.

> Also did Beloved knock-up his best friends wife? That's gonna be more awkward a conversation then when Fitz asked the Fool if he wanted to bang him.

Of course not! It seems pretty clear to me that The Fool is asexual and may not even have sex organs. At any rate, Beloved would never betray Fitz like that (ahem, paging Burrich).

My theory: when Fitz and the Fool bonded over his memories, some trace of Fool's "DNA" must be in Fitz as a result - as his Nighteyes and this has been transferred to Bee. He's the catalyst after all - which means something that speeds up a chemical reaction.

I agree about the DNA. Yet I don't think the Fool is asexual. I just think that his/her gender is hidden for plot purposes. If you recall during their bitter fight in the Golden Fool, the Fool says that he has been intimate with others before Fitz. He may have just said that to throw it back at Fitz, but I don't think so. He did live for something like 60 years before the Tawny Man trilogy.
Great post CG, I especially love No. 6 "Fitz is an epic badass" - so true!! Can't wait to see him go die hard in the next book! I'm still kind of overwhelmed that there is a whole new trilogy to devour, I was really satisfied with the end of Fool's Fate eventhough it was heart wrenching, I never thought she'd write more about F&F! I guess dreams do come true! I wonder if Fitz will ever get his happy ending though, or how it will all pan out..

It is a bit weird that there's no mention of dragons, but I suppose Fitz has basically opted out of world affairs, I'm sure we'll hear more in the next book; I still haven't read City of Dragons and Blood of Dragons actually, the series didn't grab me like the others..

I would have assumed that Fitz also picked up the Fool's DNA through
, surely he would have been left with some residual Foolishness (get it?). I think the Fool is a man, and that he hides himself from Fitz because he a) loves Fitz and b) is incredibly private, so he couldn't risk being that vulnerable in front of someone he loved, when he knew Fitz wouldn't love him back as completely. That bit of mystery is all he has for himself, and as he says is gender really that important? He wants to be seen as a person and not put into a gender 'box' as such; or at least that's my interpretation!

Shun and...Lant(?) were such annoying characters, I found Shun a little bit unbelievable because she's soo shallow and selfish, is anyone that far removed from reality really?? I'll be interested to find out who their parents are and what the story is with Laurel, though it seems obvious to me that Shun is 100% Chade's bastard. Anyway only 7 months till book 2 Yay
CG3141 I hope you don't mind that I've merged the discussion you started to this previous one.
Pages: 1 2 3 4