thePlenty.net Forums

Full Version: RotE Audio Books
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I can't see any existing thread on these anywhere so I hope I'm not doubling up...

I am considering purchasing the RotE audio books that are so far available...not only because they're something of Robin Hobb's work Wub but because they'd be terrific for all of the long distance driving my family and I do.

I did find this link that had a sample of Assassin's Apprentice http://www.tantor.com/BookDetail.asp?Pro...Apprentice but has anyone heard them and have any feedback to offer?
I'm not sure they're all available yet? The last time I checked, they were releasing AA and SoM and Dragon Keeper first and the rest of the series were to follow.
Anyway, haven't heard any commentary about them yet, but personally, based on the samples on Tantor's site I didn't like them too much. There was something about the reader's voice that irritated me, like he was bored or something. From the samples I've heard of the UK versions (Dragon Keeper mainly I think) the reader was much better. But - this is just IMO.
(May-11-2010, 12:32 AM (UTC))Mervi Wrote: [ -> ]Anyway, haven't heard any commentary about them yet, but personally, based on the samples on Tantor's site I didn't like them too much. There was something about the reader's voice that irritated me, like he was bored or something. From the samples I've heard of the UK versions (Dragon Keeper mainly I think) the reader was much better.

I have to agree, Mervi. I didn't particularly enjoy the Tantor site samples either.

I did end up purchasing Dragon Keeper (narrator - Saskia Butler) and Dragon Haven (narrator - Jacqui Crago) from iTunes though and found that, while they were both quite good, Jacqui had a very stilted way of reading, at times, and this tended to inhibit the flow of the story somewhat. At the beginning of DH, in particular, it was almost as though she was battling the flu and so needed to pause after every few words to catch her breath or have a snuffle!

It also took me a while to get my head around her English accent, as well as some of the overall pronunciations from both ladies eg Trehaugh pronounced 'Tre-horg' whereas I think of it as 'Tree-harg' Smiling, but these sorts of differences are to be expected during any story-telling. As some of you would already know, Robin didn't worry too much about consulting with the narrators on these as she felt that pronunciations should be left up to the individual, particularly for novels in the fantasy genre.

Still, I did enjoy being able to listen to both audio versions while driving and, as the above are all quite minor issues in the whole of the story-telling (Robin’s story definitely just takes over and you will find you can easily overlook anything else!), I would still recommend them with...umm...maybe 3½ - 4 stars out of 5?
In case anyone is interested, iTunes now has 'The Inheritance' and The Farseer, The Liveship Traders and The Rain Wild Chronicles (DK, DH and CoD so far) trilogies available for download. They are obviously still working toward Tawny Man. Each audio book is individually the price of a paperback here in Australia but, still, I think I'm off to get a couple. I'd prefer the Farseer books but think I'm going to get the LST ones instead, so I can finally get back to my 're-read' in SOME form! You can also preview them before purchase if you'd like.

I hate knowing it but I'll have to redownload DK and DH after a computer crash the year before last! Mad
these beings lack the patience to go through audio books. they take far more time than reading them does.
(Sep-08-2012, 01:04 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: [ -> ]these beings lack the patience to go through audio books. they take far more time than reading them does.

I like them because listening to them helps me to learn the language Book

that is a decent reason.
I began listening to the audio book of Ship of Magic on a long drive home last night...and the huge problem for me with an audio book is that there's no time to sit and think, and ponder, and turn back, or scribble a little note in the margin or on the inside back cover (should you have any room left there, of course...which I don't). Down

I had lots of thoughts...but then lost them as I listened...! Down Yes, that happens while reading and searching the text too, but...

...and, yet, here I go to listen to some more because now I can't NOT listen to the rest! Big Grin
These beings find them too slow to work with. Reading is so much quicker... in the time for one audio book, you can often read two or more regular books...
Really, the only audio books I'd like to listen to would be the Harry Potter series. As I understand it, Stephen Fry does an excellent job and turns his voice rather wonderfully to the various characters. That's my main worry, I think, the voices. It's like pictures of characters that don't fit with my image of them. I'm likely to stop listening if the voice doesn't suit..e.g. I couldn't cope with Fitz and co. with an American accent (no offence to you lovely people across the pond!) but I don't think it would fit in with the setting. It's all a matter of taste, I suppose.

Pages: 1 2 3 4