thePlenty.net Forums

Full Version: What's happening in your world?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Tonight a concert of Arcana in a church. It's the first time I'm gonna see them live, so I'm really looking forward to this.

Invisible motions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-dYLgH7SHw
Cantar de procella: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tst73-Pkmds
(Jun-05-2010, 11:33 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: [ -> ]Hope you realise I meant the memories of the three first birthdays of my kids, and not my own Big Grin ...it's been thirty-five, creeping up to thirty-six years since that big event!

Hehe it would have been especially weird since you used the plural "birthdays"
I've heard of people having multiple 39th birthdays but 1st????
(Jun-05-2010, 01:36 PM (UTC))joost Wrote: [ -> ]Tonight a concert of Arcana in a church. It's the first time I'm gonna see them live, so I'm really looking forward to this.
Invisible motions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-dYLgH7SHw
Cantar de procella: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tst73-Pkmds

They sound pretty impressive, it would be fantastic live!!!!! Interested to hear how that went. I love the church acoustics.
(Jun-05-2010, 05:16 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: [ -> ]They sound pretty impressive, it would be fantastic live!!!!! Interested to hear how that went. I love the church acoustics.
It was amazing! They performed fully live for the first time in 15 years (usually they have a backing track for the music, and only play percussion and vocals live). The music really fitted in the church. At first I was a bit afraid that church acoustics would muddle the sound, but it was all crystal clear, apart from some very small technical hiccups.

They did this song for the first time live:
Love eternal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUukTUXf9SU

The support wasn't bad, but they played a more traditional form of folk, which I'm not overly fond of, and had more problems with the acoustics, which really affected the flute sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29FLBUHDI88
It could be said that I have a rather narrow taste in music but I LOVED listening to those examples, THANKS for sharing joost Clapping !! I can imagine you had an amazing time...

I must admit I went Blink during the second piece, when I realised there was even a bit of didgeridoo in there...I was very surprised BUT it was awesome to hear it at the same time!!
How do you celebrate a child's first birthday? My daughter will be one year old in October. Perhaps I should start making plans! Wales can be very wet in October so something indoors would probably be best.
I have a really varied taste in music, in fact it's hard to think of a particular genre that I don't like ANY of (hmmm I bet there's something though).
I've been to some great performances in churches, so I tend to think of those, but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean ALL churches have good acoustics! The atmosphere's usually nice too (well I'm thinking of like old stone churches and things, not a modern prefab church!)
Those guys are really good, I;ll have to check out some more of their stuff!!!

Yes that didgeridoo in the other group's song came a bit out of nowhere! Weird combination.... nice enough sound but the rhythm sounded weird. That might be intentional for all I know - I have no specific knowledge of their particular type of music.

(Jun-06-2010, 11:13 PM (UTC))maulkin Wrote: [ -> ]How do you celebrate a child's first birthday? My daughter will be one year old in October. Perhaps I should start making plans! Wales can be very wet in October so something indoors would probably be best.

Well over to you guys!..... as I said can't remember mine, and anyway it was likely my parents giving me a bag of chips and saying 'you're one now, good on ya'...... or something.... they're sooooooooooo sentimental
:rolleyes:

Woops forgot what's happening in my world:
Whoa it's 1.5 degrees outside, I didn't realise it was that chilly. Hah it's -1.8 at our nearest weather station - there'll be frost tomorrow!
We had a tiny bit of rain the past week but still nothing to put any appreciable amount in the tank.

Gees here's some stats - rain we have got in the past few months and the average rainfall for that month in brackets:
March 31.2mm (48.0mm) April 34.4mm (60.7mm) May 30.6 (59.2) First week of June 5.0mm (Ave for month 62.1mm)

Yikes! Of course if we'd known this was coming we'd have conserved water sooner ...... COME on psychic powers!!!!
Thankfully the averages for each month July to October are at least 70mm per month SO if all goes somewhere closer to normal we'll be happy.
(Jun-06-2010, 11:13 PM (UTC))maulkin Wrote: [ -> ]How do you celebrate a child's first birthday? My daughter will be one year old in October. Perhaps I should start making plans! Wales can be very wet in October so something indoors would probably be best.

With a sigh of relief?! I'm not sure about anyone else but it's more the reaching of the benchmark that was momentous for me (eg that each child and I survived the first year Big Grin !), and not what we actually did to mark the event. Seeing as your child will never remember, any celebration is purely for everyone else's enjoyment!

Still, if you're interested...for our eldest, we had a simple bbq and invited grandparents, family etc, which was more for them than us; for our second we had a small-scale party but this was more to entertain the eldest (!!) and for our third child we had an elaborate and well-planned picnic (complete with far-too-extravagant presents etc) for the sake of appeasing the eldest two's excitement! I certainly didn't need to plan anything any earlier than the week of, however Smiling !

Just on the weather in Wales...I assume that the weather in Ireland isn't that much different at the same time of year, so, when is the best time to plan a trip to Ireland weather-wise? It would seem to me that it wouldn't matter much as, for someone like me, the weather would be wetter than I am used to anyway, no matter what month I went? If I can persuade my dad to get on a plane (!!), I plan to take him to Ireland next year. As an extra special gift, I can't think of anything better.
(Jun-07-2010, 03:58 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: [ -> ]...... COME on psychic powers!!!!

Too funny...you make my day, Nuytsia Big Grin !
(Jun-08-2010, 04:11 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: [ -> ]Just on the weather in Wales...I assume that the weather in Ireland isn't that much different at the same time of year, so, when is the best time to plan a trip to Ireland weather-wise?
Yes, the weather in west Wales is similar to that of the east of Ireland - very unpredictable! I would avoid November-February, it is likely to be cold and wet. From March onwards the weather warms up and April-May is lovely; fresh and cool with lots of flowers - though still some rainy days of course! June-September is hotter but less pretty (and still potentially wet). I have never been to the west (Atlantic) coast of Ireland, but I hear that it is even wetter!
April-May it is then, thanks maulkin, especially as I was previously leaning toward November!
Hehehe be aware maulkin's definition of 'cool' may vary from yours P
Wow a trip to Ireland sounds great!!!! I've never been but would like to go. Is there a family history there?
Are you just going to Ireland?

I have almost as much fun planning a trip as going on one!!!
Almost!