thePlenty.net Forums

Full Version: What's happening in your world?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I knew it'd be simple and straightforward and if I'd have thought about it, I would probably have guessed that Blushing
No worries. 'thul should probably have written it in its long form to begin with...
(May-07-2012, 09:10 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: [ -> ]No worries. 'thul should probably have written it in its long form to begin with...
There are so many abbreviations for everything these days I can't keep up! The Westeros forum is terrible for it and someone has actually posted a list on there of the abbreviations and their meanings for 'noobs' like me! Blink
(May-07-2012, 10:14 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: [ -> ]There are so many abbreviations for everything these days I can't keep up! The Westeros forum is terrible for it and someone has actually posted a list on there of the abbreviations and their meanings for 'noobs' like me! Blink

Hahah, I was there during it's original hay-day back on ezboards before it got moved to Ran's westeros site.. and helped create that abbreviation document! Big Grin

RW
NW
KG
KL

I don't know what's worse.. that I know them all, or helped create them? P

(May-07-2012, 10:17 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote: [ -> ]
(May-07-2012, 10:14 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: [ -> ]There are so many abbreviations for everything these days I can't keep up! The Westeros forum is terrible for it and someone has actually posted a list on there of the abbreviations and their meanings for 'noobs' like me! Blink

Hahah, I was there during it's original hay-day back on ezboards before it got moved to Ran's westeros site.. and helped create that abbreviation document! Big Grin

RW
NW
KG
KL

I don't know what's worse.. that I know them all, or helped create them? P
Well thank the gods you did! The list is huuge now and it's not just book related stuff, but shortened versions of everyday phrases, some of which I can work out, others I have to refer to the 'dictionary' Dodgy I remember the first one that had me scratching my head...PWWP and PTWP. They both amounted to the same thing, but obviously were said differently. Undecided
(May-07-2012, 10:30 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: [ -> ]Well thank the gods you did! The list is huuge now and it's not just book related stuff, but shortened versions of everyday phrases, some of which I can work out, others I have to refer to the 'dictionary' Dodgy I remember the first one that had me scratching my head...PWWP and PTWP. They both amounted to the same thing, but obviously were said differently. Undecided

Haha, Prince who was Promised is what the fans turned it in to even though in the texts it's the Prince that was Promised. PWWP tends to be the more widely-used version.

Pathetic, Val. Pathetic. BlushingSurrender

(May-07-2012, 10:32 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote: [ -> ]
(May-07-2012, 10:30 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: [ -> ]Well thank the gods you did! The list is huuge now and it's not just book related stuff, but shortened versions of everyday phrases, some of which I can work out, others I have to refer to the 'dictionary' Dodgy I remember the first one that had me scratching my head...PWWP and PTWP. They both amounted to the same thing, but obviously were said differently. Undecided

Haha, Prince who was Promised is what the fans turned it in to even though in the texts it's the Prince that was Promised. PWWP tends to be the more widely-used version.

Pathetic, Val. Pathetic. BlushingSurrender
I go with Prince that was Promised...rolls off the tongue easier P BWB was another one and more recently there's been a shortening of names to initials. Now that's just laziness and wastes other folks time wondering who in Hades they're talking about!

Short forms can be problematic when the intended meaning is lost on the reader...take, for example, a fairly recent Facebook (I nearly put FB but stopped myself! P ) post from my seventeen-year-old son that said something about "*his team's name* FTW". I read it and gaped. My husband read it and gaped. Then we fumed. Then my husband and I rang our son and put a bomb under him for speaking like that on a public forum...only to have him receive all of our fury in a mystified state. The response was like, "Mum, we won the footy and FTW is 'For the Win'."

Uhhuh

Blink

Oh. Blushing We thought it was:

Oops. Whistling

Good work son. Slurp

Grouphug

Innocent
Hahah, Farseer!! That's a good one. Clapping

I don't know what you might think the counter-part for that means.. but let me tell you just in case! "FTL" - For the Loss P

But if he says 'FML' then you might have cause to worry, rofl.

(May-07-2012, 11:53 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote: [ -> ]Hahah, Farseer!! That's a good one. Clapping

I don't know what you might think the counter-part for that means.. but let me tell you just in case! "FTL" - For the Loss P

But if he says 'FML' then you might have cause to worry, rofl.
OMG! idk wot ur talkin abt!

Gimme strength!

Big Grin Farseer!