thePlenty.net Forums

Full Version: What's happening in your world?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's too cloudy more often than not over here to witness such events. Add to that the abundance of street lighting and it's a real damp squib! Undecided
Did you get to any Diamond Jubilee celebrations, fool-ish? Likely you are as sick of things as the lead-up to the Olympics? Or is the Jubilee different?

Ahem... Blushing I'd never have believed it of myself but you know you're a monarchist/true subject of the Commonwealth when you stop what you're doing and plonk yourself down on your couch to willingly watch a bit of each aspect of the daily televised events from across the seas, and fight your husband for TV time just so that you can! You even find yourself digging into the Diamond Jubilee website with your daughter... Surrender Crown Dare I mention that I even get a bit choked up about things...? Crying

It's difficult to justify/quantify my feelings but I have huge respect for a woman who can, for sixty plus years of service, command respect in a roomful of men - good stuff, Your Majesty. Thankful I'll stop my monarchist gushing now, tsk, tsk!! P

I have been gallivanting around the countryside quite a bit...driving, always driving. Sleeping Lots of jobs to get done today and, of course, I have given priority to a quick visit here first...! Wink Knight
I'm afraid I'm not a monarchist, Farseer. I saw very little of the celebrations as I was working most of that weekend, but I wouldn't have chosen to watch them, had I been at home. The flaunting of all that wealth when the economy is in such dire straits and people are losing their jobs left, right and centre doesn't sit quite right with me and a good many others. But let's not get too deep into that! Ouch

We've got to get through the football now (yawn) and then the Olympics...I tell you, it's constant bombardment wherever you go! Mad The only saving grace (for me anyway) is Wimbledon fortnight, I do enjoy those two weeks of lawn tennis P
(Jun-09-2012, 12:06 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: [ -> ]The flaunting of all that wealth when the economy is in such dire straits and people are losing their jobs left, right and centre doesn't sit quite right with me and a good many others.

That's a fair comment and I can see why it would all be difficult for many (even most) to swallow.

I don't really think on it all much, especially from that perspective Blushing , except that it's kinda 'cool' to have royalty to watch now and then (I don't buy magazines to 'royal watch' or anything!) so that I can compare it to/think on things that have happened in the RotE. Knowing that there is an English/Australian connection to the plot simply makes it even better for me. I'm a twit, I know, 22 but Robin Hobb has made me far, far more interested in the monarchy than I ever was before. I have spent hours upon hours reading far back through the history of the English and other royals! Big Grin

The whole abdication of the throne followed by King George's, and then Queen Elizabeth's, reign and all that happened between Charles and Diana...well, it's like reading RotE and other such tales of castles, kingdoms and reigns for me. A part of my world and my history, sure, but it's all still very much a storybook tale from a foreign land. I see what's on the screen and am thus better equipped to properly envisage other such scenes from my favourite books. Smiling I am sure that it would be far less fanciful if it were right in my own backyard.
I can understand other peoples being interested and fascinated by the concept of a monarchy if they don't have one of their own. Ironically perhaps, I do have an interest in our history and I will say that our previous 'royals' were far more interesting than the current ones...no scandal to speak of, apart from one possible conspiracy, but I'll say no more on that lest I be arrested for treason! P

I think much of our and European history has been used as a reference in many a work of fiction. ASoIaF is very much based on the War of the Roses (I'm a Lancastrian!) and I suspect many a fantasy book has been based on our 'kingdom' too! Big Grin
medieval(ish)-era monarchs do appear to have been more interesting than modern ones...
(Jun-10-2012, 07:49 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: [ -> ]medieval(ish)-era monarchs do appear to have been more interesting than modern ones...
Yes, indeed they do.
Yesterday I woke up with a huge headache and my nose felt like it had gone a round with Jeff Fenech (Australian boxer/World Champ of old). Today it's far, far worse.

I have spent much of the time trying to decide how this all could have happened without my knowing it (am I getting that old that I can't even remember my injuries?Uhhuh ), and even accused my husband of biffing me on the snoz while we were asleep. How else did I get such an unsightly, sore and bent nose?!

Ahem. Amnesia has fled and I now recall, albeit belatedly, that I got into a tangle with a broom while cleaning my shed four days ago. A bang on the nose, ouch Ouch , and on with the job I go...

...sorry Mr Farseer. Whistling Innocent

(Jun-13-2012, 01:02 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: [ -> ]Yesterday I woke up with a huge headache and my nose felt like it had gone a round with Jeff Fenech (Australian boxer/World Champ of old). Today it's far, far worse.

I have spent much of the time trying to decide how this all could have happened without my knowing it (am I getting that old that I can't even remember my injuries?Uhhuh ), and even accused my husband of biffing me on the snoz while we were asleep. How else did I get such an unsightly, sore and bent nose?!

Ahem. Amnesia has fled and I now recall, albeit belatedly, that I got into a tangle with a broom while cleaning my shed four days ago. A bang on the nose, ouch Ouch , and on with the job I go...

...sorry Mr Farseer. Whistling Innocent
Ooh! Sounds painful! You'll have to get him to kiss it better Wink

Latest Lego additions:

[Image: r2d2-impshut.jpg]
Imperial shuttle and R2D2. The Imperial shuttle is HUGE (over 70cm high!)

[Image: r2d2.jpg]
R2D2. Notice the tiny R2D2 in front?

[Image: imperialshuttle.jpg]
The imperial shuttle. The wings can be folded, and then it can be taken off its standard and attached to separate landing gear (which you can see behind the standard).

[Image: 21062012039.jpg]
With the wings folded and on its landing gear. The cockpit can be opened and there's enough space for four minifigs to sit in it.

[Image: superstardestroyer.jpg]
The super star destroyer. Where the Imperial shuttle is high, this is LONG (over 1m20!), and looks awesome.