thePlenty.net Forums

Full Version: What musical instrument do you play?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok if we can have 'what languages do you speak' then I reckon we can have 'what instrument do you play? Detective

Me:
At school I learned clarinet! I did it for several years and was it was quite fun. I am not sure what I would be like now though as I haven't touched it in ages!!

Around the same time I also learned guitar (just for fun). I play from time to time but not seriously for quite a while.....

I know the keys on a piano and I can read music, but I cannot seriously say I can play piano!!!!

That's it for me! I don't think I've even tried to play any other instrument (except for playing around with a drumkit once. It's harder than it looks! hehhee)
I play the mandolin and the piano reasonably well (the mandolin better than the piano) and I kind of fool around with the violin from time to time. I learned to play the piano when I was about 10 (although I don't play much anymore) and the mandolin about five years ago for kicks. As for the violin, I had the crazy idea that because it is tuned the same way as a mandolin, I would be able to play it. Suffice it to say that did not turn out to be true.
Hey mandolin! I was thinking of learning the banjo, we could form a bluegrass group. Hehehe or do you play some completely different style of music? (I think of the mandolin in that context but no doubt it's used for completely different music too??)
Well, actually I prefer playing classical, but it seems like everyone but me plays Bluegrass on their mandolins so I actually have a fair amount of Bluegrass music books because in the early days that seemed to be all that I could ever find. (I have a nice book of renaissance mandolin solos that, unfortunately, is s a bit too complex for me. Oh well - some day.)
Ahh I see. I have been to a few 'folk' festivals (which seems to include a broad range of stuff) here in Aus and they usually include some groups that do classical and older music ..... well different things really...... so I may have even seen someone playing renaissance mandolin pieces at some stage..... hmmmm. unfortunately my memory is even worse than my musical knowledge!
In our house we have a drum kit, an acoustic guitar, a bass guitar, an electric guitar, a piano, a keyboard, a violin and umpteen recorders (not to mention all the little extras like maracas, bells, tambourines, harmonicas etc!).

Of these instruments, I am proficient on the recorder P , am pretty all right on piano, can play a bit on the acoustic guitar and am trying out the violin with some succes so far. I would so love to be able to play the fiddle like THIS in 'Wrapped Up In You' by Garth Brooks
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=...4029473138

Moving on, I have never even attempted playing anything on the bass or electric guitars and I am completely USELESS on the drums!

Should I mention here that I made an awesome maraca-playing senorita during a school event for my kids only a couple of years ago (complete with paper skirt and paper doily hair thingy?). I think my name was Conchita...?

Back on topic...living in remote regions all of my life, anything I can do is self-taught and I am a far better 'teacher' than I am a 'doer'. My kids are proficient and by-passed me years ago...!

One day, when they are sick of me, and have flown the coop, I fully intend to immerse myself in learning as many instruments as I can, and hope to one day be able to play at least one decent thing on the saxophone!
I don't play any musical instrument...
I played the recorder in school and attempted to learn the guitar in high school, without much success.
Oh yeah I forgot recorder! That's a fav one for Aussie schools, I guess because it's so portable. Also I guess it helped me later with clarinet playing now that I think of it!!!
I should get one, I really like the sound.
Farseer if you can play acoustic guitar you can certainly go for it on electric! I love how the strings are easier to hold down, hehehe.