thePlenty.net Forums

Full Version: Cooking and Recipes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
copra might be the one that did not translate at all. one source these beings looked up said so at least.
Life could become rather dreary for me, and for my contributions to this thread, if Australia follows Denmark and introduces a 'Fat Tax'...like paying GST isn't already enough! Looks like we will have to buy more cows to produce our own milk, cheese, butter and cream...

...next it will be a salt tax... Surrender
(Sep-21-2011, 09:40 AM (UTC))joost Wrote: [ -> ]I usually dislike reality shows, I usually dislike cooking shows, but for some reason (well, one of the reasons may be called Dani) I really enjoy watching Masterchef Australia (season 3)... not that I will ever use the recipes shown in there.

Same here, although I don't think it was Season 3 I watched I think it was maybe 2?
I didn't have a crush on anyone though!

Farseer a fat tax?? Noooooo !!!
Although it does bug me a bit that low fat cheese appears to be more expensive than regular cheese. Not that I would eat it myself, but for those who need to lose weight it stinks to have to pay more for low fat.
eating less fat is not a guarantee to loose weight. eating right is more effective. (of course, not eating or amputating some limb is even more effective... but those two have significant disadvantages...)
Everything in moderation is a good rule of thumb...my thumb's not much use when it comes to rules. My motto is more 'a little (sort of) of what you fancy does you good' P
good-tasting motto, that...
Eating less fat is eating less calories so I'm fairly sure that cannot hurt if you are trying to lose weight.
Here's a recipe I found for apricot brandy. You know why I've gone looking and WHY I'm placing it here without my having to place spoilers, I'm sure! P

Ingredients

12 fresh apricots, washed
600ml brandy
225g caster sugar

Method

1.Cut fruit into small pieces, reserving the stones. Crack open the stones to obtain the kernels and place in a jar with the fruit.
2.Add the brandy and sugar, making sure that all of the fruit is covered. Seal the jar and shake to dissolve the sugar.
3.Leave the jar in a dark place for one month, shaking it several times a week.
4.Strain off the fruit and eat separately if you so desire (nice warmed with ice-cream!).
5.Bottle the liqueur and store until required.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to!
it does look rather simple... But then, making the brandy part is rather difficult and time-consuming.

And, as a non-drinker, likely not worth the effort for me BUT I will give it a go. Hopefully I can source some fresh apricots from somewhere on my long drive tomorrow and Friday. Blink I never thought I'd ever utter the word 'hope' anywhere in the same sentence as 'source apricots'...I can't stand them! The things I do in the name of my RotE addiction!! Surrender

My son did Chemistry for his last three years of secondary schooling and at one time had a go at wine-making as part of the curriculum. They used different fruits, like mangoes, and experimented with various components of each wine they produced eg the sweetness etc. I can't stand wine at the best of times so it was especially difficult to make my way through the grand wine tasting night when everything was finally ready to be tested...and I even had to swallow, not 'swirl, sniff, slurp and spit'...BLECKY! Ouch
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11