thePlenty.net Forums

Full Version: Cooking and Recipes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
*madly copies and pastes Nuytsia's ideas*

Oh, I could have added THAT to my '100 questions' question about things I collect...I HOARD recipes from any source Big Grin !

I have heaps that use mutton (lamb) chops, especially as I grew up and lived much of my life on a sheep station (as you know!). Actually, I even have an amazing mutton cookbook BUT I am away from home at present so can't share any of its contents...will post some when I can but I daresay it will be too late for the chops you have waiting to cook!!

My kids would only eat mutton once but, now that we have cattle, they'll usually only eat beef (though they can still be persuaded to eat crumbed mutton spare ribs every so often). As for me, I LOVE mutton...nothing like chewing on a good old chop or tucking into a roast leg of mutton *drools* !!!

Love your dessert idea, though you can keep the Lindt choc to yourself - blecky!!! It might be the best for you but I'd rather be unhealthy than eat that...it's like shoveling straight cocoa into your mouth Dodgy !
These beings claim that there are a few problems with chewing on sheep. Sheep are way too hairy. The hair tangles up in their teeth.
Yay recipe hoarding!
I tend to write them on the back of an envelope and if they turn out well they may 'graduate' to being copied into the recipe book.

Hmmm Farseer if you find lindt 70% chocolate too 'dark' then my choccie recipe may not be to your taste..... then again if you just substitute milk chocolate it may work out ok....not sure!

I didn't actually have particular lamb forequarter chops in the fridge, I just often buy them because they are seemingly always on special! I never know exactly how you're meant to cook them to best effect though. So any future time you have a recipe or two for them would be great!

'thul yes we haven't invented dental floss here in Aussie so we need that wool to help keep our teeth clean Big Grin
(Jul-23-2010, 02:41 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: [ -> ]'thul yes we haven't invented dental floss here in Aussie so we need that wool to help keep our teeth clean Big Grin

That sure reminds these beings on a quote from one of their (many) favorite books...

Quote:"Why don't you send somebody out for a pig or a sheep? I'm hungry."
"It's customary to cook it first, Uncle."
He looked puzzled. "What for?" he asked.
Whoa what book is that from?
Uhhuh
(Jul-25-2010, 03:29 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: [ -> ]Whoa what book is that from?
Uhhuh

not sure 100%... it is one of these thirteen:
belgalariad
1. Pawn of Prophecy (1982)
2. Queen of Sorcery (1982)
3. Magician's Gambit (1983)
4. Castle of Wizardry (1984)
5. Enchanters' End Game (1984)
Malloreon
1. Guardians of the West
2. King of the Murgos
3. Demon Lord of Karanda
4. Sorceress of Darshiva
5. The Seeress of Kell
other:
* Belgarath the Sorcerer (1995) (Prequel) with Leigh Eddings
* Polgara the Sorceress (1997) (Prequel) with Leigh Eddings
* The Rivan Codex (1998) with Leigh Eddings
These beings called 'thul have managed to track down their personal cake recipe.

It took them half a year of experimenting to get the recipe right.

Thanks 'thul!
I love perfecting recipes, but I'm not usually diligent enough to take 6 months to do it!

I must admit I'm not a big fan of margarine though......

I'm not sure about some of your measurements..... Is 'ts' teaspoon?

Not sure about dl, krm, ss ?

The combination of cocoa, raisins and coconut sounds YUM! !!!!!
right... forgot to translate some of those units...

ts is teaspoon
dl is deciliter
ss is tablespoon
not sure about the english language name for "krm", but it is equivalent to 1/5th of a teaspoon (1 milliliter)

'thul had a recipe for chocolate muffins, but wanted a recipe for cake, so they started experimenting with what would give a good cake... They took 6 months or so to get it right because they could not bake cake all the time...

oh, and the cake is YUM...
ok I'm just being curious now - how you measure out the 'krm' normally?
I understand 1 ml but I'd normally only use ml for liquids. I definitely wouldn't have anything that would accurately measure 1 ml of salt!

(In my case knowing now that it's about 1/5 of a teaspoon I guess 2-3 would be about half a teaspoon so I'd use a half teaspoon measure. The smallest measure I have is 1/4 teaspoon.)

Hmmm although we use metric in Australia, we don't really use dl for some reason. We just miss it out! (we use litres or millilitres)

In fact, now that I think of it we don't use metric volume measurements for solids at all - I usually use weight (grams etc), but if volume measurements are used in a recipe it's usually in cups or spoons. I can understand spoons, as most people can't accurately weigh small amounts, but I guess using cups is kind of an anomaly!!!! Oh no I just realised we're weird!!!

Yum I might have to make cake this weekend, although I will need to buy raisins as I ate them all .........
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11