thePlenty.net Forums

Full Version: Cooking and Recipes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
'thul experiments occasionally with ground beef bread.
The dough is more or less based mostly on flour, yeast a bit of water and butter. As well as reasonable amount of green spicing.
The filling is ground beef, tomato paste, water and one bullion cube. On top of, and possibly mixed into this, is cheese... After adding the filling, 'thul close the bread up and fry it in the oven for 10-15 minutes.

Even more regularly they experiment with spaghetti sauce. new mixture almost every time.
Your ground beef bread sounds like something I'm going to have to attempt, 'thul - yummo! Funny that I had to Google what a bullion cube was though (for the benefit of others...no, it's not metal, it's a stock cube Smiling ) !!

Yes, Nuytsia, I guess you could 'sort of' liken gem irons to muffin trays, though they are heavier (as you mentioned) and the cups/moulds are circular so the gem scones come out with rounded bottoms (so when two scones are joined together they can create a full sphere). I think the only places you could get them now would be secondhand or antique-type stores, or sources that sell "country kitchen" ware eg eBay. I have a few sets but then I have always collected that type of thing, like rolling pins, milk cans etc!
Ok here we are in the Recipes thread!
I actually was at this website looking at seeds the other day and was surprised to see THEY sell sourdough culture:
hope this works
(scroll down a bit)

I am pretty sure I've seen it elsewhere, but I couldn't say just where right now! The one above seems pretty pricey! It doesn't seem to say whether it's for wheat or rye though.

I tried to do a wheat flour sourdough starter ages ago and I can't remember what method I used but I don't recall having much success.
At the moment I just make bread with 100% rye flour and water. I didn't get a startup culture from anywhere so I am not sure what I am cultivating in there exactly!! I imagine the bacteria (and yeast?) that grows is what comes with the flour (and maybe my air/water?)
It's not like a regular loaf of bread at all, it's like what they sell in the shops as 'pumpernickel rye' if anyone has had that. I love it mmmmmm.
Every time I've tried to make a lighter rye/wheat blend loaf it's always been a disappointment. I do also make regular wheat bread too sometimes, and lately I've made a few wholemeal / whole wheat breads that turned out really well. Previously I've not really liked that type of bread, but the cruel reality turned out to be that I was being lazy and not doing enough kneading!

(Oct-14-2010, 12:22 PM (UTC))Atthis Wrote: [ -> ]
(Oct-12-2010, 04:26 PM (UTC))Mervi Wrote: [ -> ]Now rye bread is one the (many) Finnish cuisines that seems to be an acquired taste. Wink It's one of those things Finns living abroad report missing the most (alongside salmiac which is just , er... ammonium chloride) but most the rest of the world seems to manage just fine without!
How could anyone not love Finnish rye bread??!! Actually I love anything that's sourdough. Yum! But I think Australian bakeries leave a lot (A LOT) to be desired compared to European ones. Poor us! Down That's why we all want to bake our own bread!
And what's the deal with the ammonium chloride? Is this like a Finnish equivalent of vegemite or something? Big Grin
(Oct-13-2010, 04:55 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: [ -> ]I LOVE RYE BREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Exactly! So that's Rye lovers: 3, non-lovers: 0. Clapping
Ah, I was going to mention "sourdough starter" but you beat me to it, Nuytsia. Where on the internet can you get sourdough starters? I had no idea! Hmmm, maybe we should move ourselves over to the recipes thread...
Hey does anyone have any nice recipes that use condensed milk?
I was looking for ages on the internet and most of them made me think hmmmm I'd rather just eat it straight Proud
ok then does anyone have any ideas for what to make/cook at a barbeque?
I really don't care much for them so I really don't have any repertoire of food ideas! But we have a community BBQ coming up so I really should go.
So far I have ..... sausages...... pretty original hey!
Sorry Nuytsia, I'm not really a BBQ expert! But may I suggest something non-meaty? Like corn, mushrooms, sweet potatoes etc.

I decided to try making my own yoghurt yesterday and it was so easy and the result so yummy that I don't think I'll be buying much store yoghurt from now on. Stirring Proud
I've always wanted to try BBQ-ing beer marinated flank steak.

You can try kebabs with meat and veggies or maybe shrimp or squid.

Stuffed cheeseburgers are fun. One time at a BBQ we stuck marshmallow in it and cooked it and served it to someone as a gag. She ate the whole thing but didn't say a word until we asked her how she liked her marshmallow-burger. She thought it was funny how it tasted all sweet.

A favorite past time after cooking is lancing stuff on bamboo sticks and burning them. If you heat up Cheetos or potato chips, you can see the oil dripping out of it. Big Grin
'thul has always wanted to fry a blue whale whole, but has been unable to get hold of one...
Yuck. It'd better be dead in the first place. No matter how curious I am about how they taste like, whales are too intelligent for me to ever consider eating them. It's like eating an elephant or primate.

Meanwhile I recently heard of a German place in downtown that serves rattlesnake and rabbit sausage. I wonder whether the rabbit was eaten by the snake first, and now some human has come along to terminate the food chain. Pirate
whale meat tastes very good actually... But the important thing about such hunting is that it has to be done only on a level that is sustainable... A single whale provides much more meat than many cows provide...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11