thePlenty.net Forums

Full Version: Avatar: The Last Airbender
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm probably the last person on Earth to discover this show. I had seen fragments of it and it looked nice, but I never really sat down to watch it. Then a good friend of mine mentioned watching the series to me and I decided to give it a shot. I ended up liking it.

In fact, I liked it so much that I watched the entire series (61 episodes) in a single week.

If any of you has yet to try this series, I encourage you to do so. Yes, it's a kids' show, but it's surprisingly intelligent and takes its audience seriously. It's one of those stories with a high crossover appeal.

I haven't seen the film adaptation yet, but I've been told that it's not very good.
I've seen the show but I haven't watched all of it. I like it a lot too. I agree on the show's intelligence. I think there are very few cartoon shows around now that have such good writing and don't treat the audience like a great mindless mass looking for cheap entertainment.

I am not interested in the film adaptation in any way.
As a seasoned fan I can say the series itself is amazing, and the film a tradgedy of epic proportions... Under no conditions should you waste you time with it.
I am morbidly curious about just how bad they screwed up. And that's not even getting into the casting controversy....

What do you guys think about the announced sequel series Avatar: The Legend of Korra? I have somewhat mixed feelings myself. The end of Avatar: The Last Airbender gave me that sad feeling that the best of stories do (Robin Hobb has done this a few times to mee too): it was great, but now it's over. The characters have to come to life for you and you can feel that their life will go on after the book / series ends, only you are no longer a part of it. Hence, it is somwhat disappointing that the new series will take place so long after the original one that all main characters will probably be dead.

On the other hand, it looks like they're going to try something new instead of just copying what they've done before. And that should be applauded, I think. I'm cautiously optimistic.
I started watching this show when my GF picked up the first season. Still waiting for her to get the 3rd season P.
I enjoy it, it's well done. Good world, good characters, just good fun.
And though I ain't seen how the show ends I am interested in The Legend of Korra. Least from what I've read about it.

And I agree with the movie being bad. Season 1 of the cartoon had about 20 eps and you shouldn't try and compress that down into one movie. They left out so much. Suki wasn't even introduced. So much was rushed...
I think I could have dealt with the movies faults if they had EVEN PRONOUNCED THE NAMES RIGHT
As mentioned above, I'm having some serious withdrawal symptoms. Do you guys know of anything similiar to this?

I got together with my aforementioned friend a few days ago and we chatted a bit about the series. The casting controversy didn't really seem to bother him (Which is odd since he's half-Asian himself), but he agreed that seeing a completely white Katara (or Sokka or other Water Tribe members) didn't feel right. And we could both agree that Iroh is awesome.

He hadn't yet heard about the sequel series. One amusing snippet of our conversation (spoilers for ATLA):

Seeing as I've just seen the episode. I'd thought I'd just post this here. But you know the play that they vist in Book 3? The first act is better then the movie by far P
That episode was hilarious!

Edited for fun and profit:

And another one:

I agree with those videos, they nailed the movie. However the idea of them redoing it? Oh god no! The plot and character building are what made the series as amazing as it is, and there is quite literally no way to adequately capture that in a standard movie length feature.
Pages: 1 2