thePlenty.net Forums

Full Version: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38
Ok, since you don't post another quote I got one more Smiling

Quote:She is totally mad about it, although Brashen is in seventh heaven

I hope it's translated correctly. So, go ahead Book

This is obviously somewhere in the Liveship Traders (since I know you haven't read RWC yet, hahah). Now to think, hrm....

I'm going to assume the speaker is speaking of Althea and, due to the tone of voice, is probably Malta. I just can't think WHAT they're talking about or in what book.

Gah, I just realized that it COULD be the large duchy female deckhand (can't remember her name right now!!! starts with a 'J' ??) speaking to Amber-as-Lord-Golden in the second TM book when she comes to Buckkeep. But it's still someone talking about Althea.

I feel that's closer, but still can't think what she's talking about.

Still thinking!!
(Feb-13-2012, 11:42 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote: [ -> ]Gah, I just realized that it COULD be the large duchy female deckhand (can't remember her name right now!!! starts with a 'J' ??) speaking to Amber-as-Lord-Golden in the second TM book when she comes to Buckkeep. But it's still someone talking about Althea.

I feel that's closer, but still can't think what she's talking about.

Still thinking!!

OK, I was totally on-track with that 2nd bit after giving it a bit of thought. It's definitely Jek (remembered her name) talking to Amber in the 2nd Tawny Man book. Amber is Lord Golden here, and Jek has visited Buckkeep and is bringing "Amber" up to date on all the gossip.

Here, she has just announced that Althea is pregnant. Am I right? Big Grin

I want to go find the actual text to see how the translation differs.

(Feb-13-2012, 11:39 PM (UTC))Brashen Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, since you don't post another quote I got one more Smiling

I hope it's translated correctly. So, go ahead Book

I haven't read the rest of what's been put on here but, yes, I agree Valarya. I am certain that this was Jek talking to Lord Golden/Amber in Buckkeep about Althea's pregnancy. I think Brashen was worrying about her all of the time and preventing her from doing things as she wanted to. Fitz was in his room, listening to the conversation with his door slightly ajar...

...and it was for this reason, and his overhearing of this conversation, that he and Fool later fought...

(Feb-14-2012, 05:31 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: [ -> ]I haven't read the rest of what's been put on here but, yes, I agree Valarya. I am certain that this was Jek talking to Lord Golden/Amber in Buckkeep about Althea's pregnancy. I think Brashen was worrying about her all of the time and preventing her from doing things as she wanted to. Fitz was in his room, listening to the conversation with his door slightly ajar...

...and it was for this reason, and his overhearing of this conversation, that he and Fool later fought...

Ah, yes... I found it!!! Big Grin Of course it's from Fitz's perspective:

Quote:‘Althea’s pregnant?’

This ‘Amber’ took a woman’s delight in such tidings.

‘Yes,’ Jek confirmed. ‘And she’s absolutely furious about it, despite Brashen walking on air and choosing a new name for the child every other day. In fact, I think that’s half of why she’s so irritable. They were wed in the Rain Wild Traders Concourse… I wrote to you about that, didn’t I? I think it was more to placate Malta, who seemed humiliated by her sister’s cavalier attitude toward her arrangement with Brashen than for any desire on Althea’s part to be married. And now she’s with child, and puking her guts up every dawn, and spitting at Brashen whenever he gets solicitous.’
Isn't that a plot hole? Doesn't that quote make Althea & Malta sisters rather than aunt and niece?
Wow, you are good, Valarya, although my translation changed the sentence completely...

But 'thul, you are right. It is probably a plot hole. Uhhuh Haven't realized it so far. Robin placed those two so close from their age and maturity that she herself probably forgot they were aunt and niece...P
Actually Robin did make a couple of different errors regarding Malta and Althea relationship in TM and even, I think I'm right in including them, the RWC books.

This is why it was so important that Relpda found the mistake regarding Kyle and Ephron in the Dutch translation of CoD prior to the English releases....Robin had mistakenly stated that Ephron was Malta's father, and not Kyle.

I also remember when Robin asked once if anyone remembered the name of Brashen and Althea's child as she couldn't find his name in her notes or the TM/RWC text anywhere...and here was I believing that she'd kept the name a secret from us for some grand reason. Big Grin Just goes to show though how easy it is for an author to get so involved in their story that they lose track of their characters. P Some may not like that but I like knowing that the author is as flawed sometimes as the characters she creates eg Fitz as our narrator.

I even said something in the Newsgroup recently that I always pictured Robin's living room to be set up like a crime wall in CSI or Castle or something, to make keeping track of things easier!
It can often be far easier to keep track of characters and such in a computer system than on paper.
'thul beings, I was browsing this thread from start to finish yesterday and curious about something: are there any outstanding quotes (un-guessed) from before you revived the thread?

In the meantime, here's a new quote!!! Proud

Quote:"Can't have royal bastards cluttering up the countryside."

Who said it? To whom? In reference to what? AND in what book? Big Grin
There might be a couple of quotes, just look back over the last page or two from before revival. It'd be nice if someone could take over keeping track of quotes, as 'thul have been, and will probably continue to be, far too lax in it.

On the quote:One of the Farseer books. probably some of the "bad" guys. Perhaps Regal?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38