thePlenty.net Forums

Full Version: [split] Vampires and Vampirism
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Vampires and vampirism is the one subject that I find difficult to tolerate in fantasy. I don't know why. It's like a hurdle in my mind that I just can't jump. Having said that, I borrowed 'Twilight' from a library the other day Proud , and will share my thoughts on it when I get it read! Smiling
No, they're not to everyone's taste. Currently reading book one of the 'True Blood' series. A few pages in and it's better than I expected.

I was hoping to read the next installment of Song of Ice and Fire but my local supermarket let me down badly today! The whole series was lined up in a neat little row last week, ventured in today and not one book to be seen! Vexed, I am!
I, too, would be vexed! Funny that you should mention ASoIaF as it also seems to be a hurdle for me. I think I got up to about the seventh chapter this time (even the lack of chapter numbers bugs me somewhat) but I still couldn't get excited enough to continue. I'll get there one day...the entire world can't be wrong! Wink

One of my sons began it the other day and then had to take both AGoT and ACoK with him for a work experience week on the coast. Hopefully it won't be too "awesome" as he also readies himself for his last ever, and busiest, term at school. Not the best time of life to begin such an "awesome" series! Book

As for vampires, I can't judge too harshly as I have avoided it as a subject almost entirely. I think 'Interview with a Vampire' is the only movie I have ever seen and Megan Lindholm's 'Finis' is the only story (short or otherwise) that I recall ever having read. Both left me lukewarm. I'll likely read 'Twilight' and be hooked! Big Grin

Interesting earlier discussion re changing personality due to need...
"interview with a vampire" is a lukewarm story. At best. There are others out there that are much better...

Unlike what these beings have heard from others, their preference in those four twilight books was irregular. Whereas most dislike the fourth book, 'thul liked that one best.

If 'thul is to recommend a fairly decent vampire movie, it would have to be "frostbiten". Not easy to get hold of, and subtitles are preferable (its in swedish). It has a fairly comic view on vampirism, yet is not a pure comedy.
ASOIAF is a brilliant story, but I'm still finding it a little complicated in terms of people, the houses they belong to and who is siding with who. Having said that, I do sort of speed-read books on their first outing because I'm just bursting to know what happens next. I'll re-read them and pick up on a number of things missed previously (I did the same with Farseer/Tawny Man)

Farseer, for your son's sake, I hope he doesn't get like me and find he can't put the book down, unless absolutely, totally necessary! P Keep us posted on your foray into Twilight when you get there. I'm always interested to hear folks views on this series, as opinion is very much divided!

'thul, I also found the last Twilight book the best one. This 'True Blood' take on vampirism is different again. 'Synthetic' blood is available in shops, bars etc. And...certain organs still work effectively! Wink Now, that's a first for me in vamp literature! P
Vampire diaries (books & TV series) also has a good view on vampirism.

There's no real reason that a the organs vital to a human's life should not be theoretically able to work after vampirification. The vampire doesn't need them and might shut them off, but that doesn't say they should be incapable of doing their former tasks.

The organs are still there, they might not be necessary, but they're still there...
I lied! Edward Cullen had the necessary functions! How could I forget that? It was Anne Rice who deprived them of the finer things in life!

Vampirification..now there's a word!
In some universes, vampires are harmed if they try human things like eating regular food. Example of this is the "underworld" movie series.
Having read more vampiric novels, these beings have decided to reactivate this thread.

Current source of vampirism:
House of Night Series - P.C. Cast & Kristin Cast

'thul, in what are you reading now thread Wrote:Urban fantasy set (mostly) in a small town in North America. Interesting take on vampirism. (vampire change isn't even remotely instant. It takes roughly four years.

Growing through all those changes in a matter of days (or hours) is illogical. Just try to think how long it takes anyone to grow teeth. Then add in the dozens of other changes common to vampires. Then add in the fact that to avoid complete drainage of bodily resources. Obviously it has to take time, particularly if the changes to the body are significant.

Beyond minor details that do not affect plot greatly, 'thul will avoid spoilers.

These books also operate with the traditional "good" & "evil", or as put here, "Light" & "Darkness". Those two forces have personifications in the form of bull-like creatures, but their power is far beyond that of anything. Direct contact with either personification is hazardous.

Vampires gradually adapt during the four-year transition, slowly gaining the attributes that vampires have and humans lack. Drinking blood is natural to vampires, but not to humans. Thus to those early in the changes, it tastes rather horrible.
Another interesting difference from 'normal' vampires is that to survive the changes, fledgling vampires have to stay in relative proximity to adult vampires most of the time or risk death due to changes not going according to plan. (similarity to Elderling changes?)

Vampirism here is also genetic. It is not infectious. a small percentage of all teenagers have latent genes that are triggered sometime after puberty (roughly early high school age), and thus start to become vampires. Not all succeed. Some die.

Now... Someone (*looks shiftily at farseer*) discuss this when compared to other forms with 'thul. A good discussion is wanted.
(Dec-30-2011, 10:29 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: [ -> ]Now... Someone (*looks shiftily at farseer*) discuss this when compared to other forms with 'thul. A good discussion is wanted.

I'd give anything to be able to find the time to come on here for a good discussion (I want/need one too!!) but, alas, I am fighting an on-going, long-lasting war against boils and I'm not sure I'm gaining much ground! Knight

My Buffy and Star Wars forays have been well punctuated with washing and disinfecting everything possible and also cleaning/dressing my children's outbreaks! Sleeping

I did think of something related to your post while reading the Twilight books so I will be back...hopefully sooner than later!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9