thePlenty.net Forums

Full Version: [split] Vampires and Vampirism
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
I'll have to check out Sanctuary at some point then. It's quite fascinating how big the whole vampire theme has become. When we think back to what I would now term as your basic vampire, i.e. Dracula. I find they are a more believable concept now, even as they've become more complicated. I must read more vampire fiction as it rarely lets me down (apart from the one I spoke about in the adult fiction thread of course!)
There are indeed a vast number of interpretations of vampirism. The fact that they bring in many more modern interpretations tends to mean that they also set up more rigid rules for it, often by filtering through a good layer of science.
these beings came across another interesting vampiric novel today... set in modern time, most of the classical vampire traits like sunburn, bloodthirst, enhanced senses, bad reactions to food & drink that isnt blood and such traits, yet still of the thinking type.
One nice trait in the book is the presence of a character that existed in history. Emperor Norton I of the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Norton
Similar to the prologue and first chapter of CoD, the first few chapters of a vampire-looking novel is available on the HarperVoyager link 'thul beings. It might be worth a look?
Would you like to share with us the name of this book please 'thul? Smiling
hmm... right... forgot the name...
And it turned out to be two books, not one...

Author: Christopher Moore
Books in question:
Bloodsucking Fiends
You Suck

(yes, the name of the second book is just that...)

Both were fairly good. Nothing too radical in vampiric abilities vs. disadvantages. It went with the stronger-with-age style as well. Oh, and it had a fairly vague, yet also vaguely plausible source for the first vampire (not going to spoil what)
Big Grin You Suck!?! With a name like that, it just has to be read! Big Grin
These beings thought much the same, especially after reading the first one...
These beings started reading another series of books with vampires, having found it after browsing through a list of "female action heroes".
Author: "Laurell K. Hamilton"
Series: "Anita Blake"

Unlike they usually do, 'thul started reading in around book 6. They may read 1-5 sometime, but not yet.
Not sure yet on the exact elements of vampirism used beyond that there's more than one kind, power is not quite equal to age, vampires are (considered dead, yet not soulless)

Main character is a necromancer and a professional legal vampire executioner.
The 'Anita Blake' series has been recommended to me before. 'Tis on my wish list
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9