thePlenty.net Forums

Full Version: [split] Vampires and Vampirism
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
(Mar-07-2012, 04:25 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm.. these beings did come across an interesting quote in one of those books...
Quote:"Are you going to warn me not to move, tell me to freeze?"
"No," I said, and I shot him.

Doesn't that show just how nice the narrative character is?

No dilly-dallying for that one then.
Indeed. The funny thing was that not only was it not in a shadowed alley or anything like that, but it was in public, in a shopping mall, and during prime business hours.
One of the more strong-minded traits of the female lead character.
(Mar-08-2012, 01:56 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: [ -> ]Indeed. The funny thing was that not only was it not in a shadowed alley or anything like that, but it was in public, in a shopping mall, and during prime business hours.
One of the more strong-minded traits of the female lead character.
Blink This sounds more intriguing by the minute! Definitely going to give it a go.

A good part of the text in the later books might fit in under "adult" literature. There's more than one occurrence of things in the genre "erotica" in the books. Perhaps a bit more than necessary.
(Mar-08-2012, 09:28 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: [ -> ]A good part of the text in the later books might fit in under "adult" literature. There's more than one occurrence of things in the genre "erotica" in the books. Perhaps a bit more than necessary.
No matter. A bit of 'erotica' is good for the soul and as long as it doesn't detract from the story too much, it's fine by me.

I've just had a little peek on Amazon and discovered there are 21 books in the series!! I'm trying to talk myself out of it now.
It worked well for 'thul to skip the first few books.

oh, and not all the books are that long.
hmm... time to derail this topic from that particular vampire universe...

'thul have for the past year and a half kept watching the TV series "vampire diaries", and find that they have a fairly well-developed vampire mythos there... but then, with 61 episodes, that is bound to happen.
Though based on books, it was apparent they had just minor details in common (some characters, a bit of the early story, type of setting...), the majority appears to be new stuff...

General basics of vampirism there:
vampires are supernatural
they drink blood. mostly human, but can live less powerfully on animal blood.
Power of a vampire is based on age.
humans become vampire if they die with vampire blood in their system, even in minute amounts. If they don't feed on human blood while transitioning from human to vampire, they die.

Have any of you others watched it?
I haven't watched it. I've been a little put off by the True Blood series, I watched a couple of them after I'd read the first three books, but didn't see the series through, books or TV because Sookie Stackhouse got on my wick. I figured Vampire Diaries might be along the same lines, so didn't bother with that either.
Vampire diaries are essentially a completely different story using a few similar characters and several concepts (but far from all), the story starting the same, then going off in a completely different direction. True Blood (from what 'thul have understood) is essentially a weave around the same basic storylines, with a few threads shifted around, but mostly the same tapestry.
It is however, true that the Sookie in the show can be a bit annoying at times, but there are far worse productions out there.
Sookie was irritating in the books too which put me right off the TV series. I concur, there is many a bad series out there that should be avoided for sanity's sake Ouch

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9