thePlenty.net Forums

Full Version: Plentywiki: feature updates / report problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Has anyone actually tried to edit the wiki lately? I noticed I'm getting errors trying to save changes (previews work fine) and wondering if it is a local problem... or possibly the reason there hasn't been any activity in ages. Will eventually have to upgrade the wiki as well once I've got other fixes out of the way.
yup. Just tried now using the Dutiful Account.

Internal error

Set $wgShowExceptionDetails = true; at the bottom of LocalSettings.php to show detailed debugging information.
A quick but unfortunately not a very helpful update - the wiki is back up and running, but the editing error persists. Sorry about that!
The wiki is editable again! Smiling I'll have to be brave and try to update the script one of these days (it's always a slow, complicated, painful operation with full potential for breaking things and getting thousands of errors, so no biggie) but for now a little bit of trouble shooting means that we can again add and edit articles. Was about time, and I'm truly sorry for the delay.
Aaaand the errors are back. Hrmpfh! I was trying to upgrade the script and managed to get forward a couple major releases by updating through every.single.minor one without the whole thing turning up in flames as usual but then I hit the wall way before getting to the latest version and had to backtrack. If tomorrow is a horrible rainy day as is forecast I might spend it trying to tackle the issue again. This is super frustrating as I really want to start the page for Fool's Assassin AND I have the characters from Wilful Princess indexed and drafted ready to be made into article stubs!

I've really had it with mediawiki, honestly. Mad
Quick update: I've managed to wrangle the updates through to a further, currently stable and safe version - though not yet to the very latest release. I've had to disable the plugin that allows syncing the user list with the forum, so if you suddenly find your old forum password isn't valid at the wiki anymore, you'll just have to request a new one. It is possible I won't start using that plugin again anyway.
Currently the wiki is using the default mediawiki layout and will continue to do so at least for as long as it takes for me to get the script fully updated, there's no point in "fixing" it for every version that I test because I have to go back and forth quite a bit.
You might also find that you're unable to create an account or edit pages while I'm doing this maintenance - it's a security measure because last night I had to revert back after one of the updates suddenly let a bunch of spammers through. I apologise for the inconvenience and rue the day I decided to use mediawiki.
I'll let you know when it's done!
Guess what folks?! The wiki is running the very latest mediawiki version and seems to be doing so without any major problems! Toohot Magic

I've tested
- article editing
- article creation
- file uploading
and will start bringing the old layout back next. If you have problems with any of the above or anything else, please let me know!

Account creation is still suspended for a moment - if you're itching to start adding/editing to the wiki and don't have an account, please don't hesitate to contact me and I'll be more than happy to set one up for you.
FINALLY, new accounts! It has taken way too long and it was unnecessarily complicated, but there's now a process where you can apply for an account. All you need to do is choose a username, submit a valid email address and write a tiny bio (basically anything that lets me know you're not a spam bot). I'll then get an automated email, take a look at your application and with a few clicks you have a shiny new account and you can start editing and adding articles!

Just to demonstrate how awful the mediawiki spam problem is: I had account creation enabled for just a couple of hours today while I was testing this new extension. Several spam bots immediately registered (and have now been banned).
The wiki script has been updated from 1.23.x to the 1.25 series. I haven't yet had much chance to play around, but immediately noticed that the default display size for non-gallery images on the book pages has been increased, resulting in some uneven displays (because some files just aren't wide enough). I'll go around fixing them one by one as I finalise the cover gallery move (only 5 main titles to go yay!) If it bothers you, you can change the default size in your personal account settings ("preferences" near your username on the top right corner, then the appearance tab and "thumbnail size:" to 200px should return the old look).

If anyone notices any other strange changes or something doesn't work, do please let me know!
There's a nifty little new plugin! It helps you to choose categories when creating/editing articles. Basically, there's a dropdown menu just above the save/preview buttons at the end of the page where you can do this. The plugin will also helpfully remind you to choose a category before saving (but you can still save without categories as well!) It follows a certain order like "main category > subcategory > subcategory> but you can also skip categories in the tree. For example, I just added an article about Timberrock Keep, so the main category I chose was "Places", after that I went through "Six Duchies" to get the subcategory "Buck"" but I only checked "Places" and "Buck" before saving. Smiling
Pages: 1 2 3