thePlenty.net Forums

Full Version: Fantasy worlds you would actually like to live in (RotE Spoilers)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Exactly what it says on the tin. My picks would be:

EQUESTRIA (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic) - This is the big one. FiM's creators have made a magical land of ponies look like an awesome place to be, instead of something gag-inducing. Going here, however, would of course require me to turn into a pony as well. Preferably a unicorn, since these have some advantages over the other subspecies, like telekinetic magic.

THE REALM OF THE ELDERLINGS (Robin Hobb's novels) - While it's not perfect, RotE looks like a more pleasant place than many other fantasy worlds I've read about recently. As long as I don't have to live in Chalced... the Wit would be a great power to have, although a little dangerous of course. So I don't know if I would want to be Witted.
Interesting...

These beings would probably end up adding in the worlds from their favorite series.
their reasons for RotE would be much the same as yours, aside from the witted part.
I honestly having enough trouble surviving in the real world without inserting myself in a fantasy one! Big Grin

Of course I'd have to say that I'd love to live in the RotE...after all, my favourite character of all time dwells there. Wub

As for anywhere else, well, I'd have to go with my other favourite characters eg Obi-Wan etc. As someone Joker once said, "Home is a people, not a place" or some such...

I will have to think on this some. Easy to pick a place but harder to actually picture yourself 'there'....especially when there are overly large predators about!
Ooh! A hard one that! I know where I wouldn't like to live...anywhere within the seven kingdoms! But that's another tale. I think I would like to live somewhere within the RoTE, just not entirely sure where, though my preference would be beside the sea.
In RotE it would be most interesting to live somewhere in the rain wilds, or wherever dragons end up. The kind of cities they build in the rain wilds is a very interesting thing. Only problem would be getting enough space to land therein. They may have mastered making wooden cities in the trees, but they have not mastered making suspended landing sites for dragons...

That there river in the rain wilds worries me, otherwise it sounds really quite pleasant
It sounds like an interesting challenge, for a human. It might be nasty towards claws, but it is still a nice river. Not being ducks, these beings will generally stay out of it if given the chance to approach it.
I can't believe I'm going to pick this choice above all the other non-this-world choices I'd think myself to pick... but this has been a fantasy of mine since I was a really small child.

I'd live as a witch in the magical world of Harry Potter. Hands down. No contest. To have attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry would be like a dream.. the best kind of dream. Not to mention the ability to do magic and have a wand of my own and... well Blushing

Second to that would absolutely be within Middle Earth. Specifically: Caras Galadhon, realm of Galadriel and other woodland elves.. and I suspect I'd pick the 2nd Age of man as the time-frame...

Based on the above type of world I fell in love with (tree cities)... the Rain Wilds would have been my 3rd choice. I practically lived in trees as a kid, anyway.. HOWEVER, after reading City of Dragons, I'd say, more specifically: Kelsingra. As an Elderling.

Eeeep, I'd also love to live on the Nar Shaddaa system, or perhaps Alderaan - in George Lucas's world. [Star Wars]

(Feb-07-2012, 11:15 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: [ -> ]Ooh! A hard one that! I know where I wouldn't like to live...anywhere within the seven kingdoms! But that's another tale. I think I would like to live somewhere within the RoTE, just not entirely sure where, though my preference would be beside the sea.

I wholeheartedly agree. Westeros is an amazing piece of worldbuilding, but it's not a place I would ever want to visit. Now, as for Harry Potter's world... why didn't I think of that? It seems like a fun place to live most of the time, although later books in the series do increasingly show its flaws. But still...
Indeed, Westeros is a dodgy place to live/visit. One wrong word or look and your head's on a spike decorating a wall (though I wouldn't mind a brief encounter with a certain someone! Wink) I never thought of Hogwarts either. That would definitely be on the list. The city of Elyne in Trudi Canavan's magician world would be good too...very liberal and colourful.
Pages: 1 2