The Dragon Keeper is part one of Rain Wild Chronicles. It was originally meant to be a standalone book. When the manuscript grew too large to be a single book, it was split into two parts that were then published as "The Dragon Keeper" and Dragon Haven. A later sequel met with the same fate and was published as City of Dragons and Blood of Dragons, making the chronicles a four volume series.
The story takes place in the Rain Wilds and Bingtown some time after the events in Ship of Destiny and Fool's Fate. Like the Liveship Traders, the story is told in third person. The viewpoint characters are Thymara, Alise Kincarron, Sisarqua/Sintara, Leftrin and Sedric Meldar. Notes sent between two Keepers of the Birds, Erek and Detozi are set between each chapter of the book.
The US editions print the title as "Dragon Keeper" and the UK editions as "The Dragon Keeper".
- A UK hardcover edition published by HarperVoyager the 25th of June 2009 with ISBN 9780007273744. Cover art by Jackie Morris.
- HarperCollins UK website also lists a "signed limited edition", a hardback with ISBN 9780007345595 published the 3rd of September 2009 but this doesn't seem to exist.
- An Australian/New Zealand trade paperback the 1st of July 2009 with ISBN 9780007273768.
- A US hardcover edition by HarperCollins/Eos January the 26th 2010 with ISBN 9780061561627. Cover art by Steve Stone.
- At least some of the US Advance Reading Copies of this book were tied with a leather string with a tiny dragon charm attached to it. The ARCs sent out seem to have had more or less the final cover design with a tiny round "stamp" declaring them as ARCs. The cover design with red and white font seem to have been used in online marketing only.
- A US mass market paperback by HarperVoyager in January/February 2011 with ISBN 9780061561658. First printed with the Steve Stone cover, later reprints with the original Jackie Morris cover use the same ISBN.
- A UK paperback edition by HarperVoyager the 4th of March 2010 with ISBN 9780007342594 and another with ISBN 9780007273751 (not sure whether these are the same edition or possibly trade and regular size).
- A UK paperback and ebook the 17th of December 2015 from Harper Voyager and ISBN 9780008154394, this is the edition with the new Jackie Morris cover art.
- A Kindle edition from Harper Voyager the 8th of May 2012 with ASIN B003GFIW10.
- An unabridged UK audio book by HarperCollins, the 1st of July 2009, narrated by Saskia Butler. ISBN 9780007317097. Length 17 hours 3 minutes.
- An unabridged US audio book by Tantor media, the 26th of January 2010, narrated by Anne Flosnik. ISBN 9781400113330. Length 21 hours.
- A Chinese translation titled 雨野原傳奇1：巨龍守護者 by Fantasy Foundation in Taiwan the 4th of January 2018 with ISBN 9789869563451 (paperback). Translated by 李鐳, cover art by Jackie Morris.
- A Czech translation Dračí strážce from Nakladatelství Fragment the 15th of November 2018 in hardcover with ISBN 9788025339312.
- A Dutch translation titled Drakenhoeder by Luitingh the 11th of November 2009 with ISBN 9789024528769.
- A French translation split into two parts
- Dragons et serpents from Pygmalion the 22nd of September 2010 with ISBN 9782756402871, cover by Steve Stone, translated by Arnaud Mousnier-Lompré. Also released as a kindle edition the 11th of October 2011 with ASIN B005Y14L2I. Reprinted the 9th of November 2011 by J'ai lu with ISBN 9782290032763 as well as by France Loisirs.
- Les eaux acides from Pygmalion the 17th of November 2010 with ISBN 9782756402888, cover by Steve Stone, translated by Arnaud Mousnier-Lompré. Also released as a kindle edition the 21st of October 2011 with ASIN B005Y14L5K. Reprinted the 8th of January 2012 by J'ai lu with ISBN 9782290033135 as well as by France Loisirs.
- A French combined volume of the above: Les Cités des Anciens : Coffret 2 volumes : Tome 1, Dragons et serpents ; Tome 2, Les Eaux acids from Pygmalion the 8th of October 2011 with ISBN 9782756405629. (Looks like this was a standalone edition/cover.)
- A French combined volume Les Cités des Anciens, L'intégrale 1 from Pygmalion the 24th of September 2014 with ISBN 9782756411217 (The cover design of this one matches other recent Pygmalion combo volumes.)
- A German translation Drachenhüter in March 2012 from Heyne with ISBN 9783453529182. Translated by Simon Weinert.
- An Italian translation Il Custode del Drago by Fanucci the 22nd of April 2010 with ISBN 9788834715895. Translated by Gabriele Giorgi.
- A Russian translation Хранитель драконов, hardcover, in June 2012 with ISBN 9785699574230.
- http://fantasy-faction.com/2013/robin-hobb-interview Fantasy faction Robin Hobb interview
- Official book trailer for the Dragon Keeper
- Drafts 6 and 7 of the book's prologue at Robin's Myspace blog. (dead link?)
- Extract at the Voyager UK blog
- Another extract at Pat's Fantasy Hotlist